Contributed by Sharon Butler / Today marks the first day of the Two Coats of Paint Annual Year-end fundraising campaign. What a year it’s been! In March, after publishing a poignant and penetrating series of conversations between Julia Kunin and artists in Ukraine, we experienced a major hack that took the entire Two Coats of Paint website down. Eventually we were able to rescue and restore 15 years’ worth of content, and we will continue working to fix the typographic glitches that remain on older posts.
In July, at our landlord’s request, we packed everything up and moved from 55 Washington Street over to 20 Jay Street, staying in Dumbo but now on the north side of the Manhattan Bridge. Moving is never easy, but we’re happy to be on the quieter side of the neighborhood, among more artists and arts organizations in the new space. Your generous contributions during the 2021 fundraising drive made many things possible this year, including:
- Publishing more than 160 articles, reviews, and painting-centric gallery guides (an average of ten posts per month)
- Starting a second Two Coats website for artist obituaries
- Archiving Two Coats of Paint Conversations in podcast format
- Introducing a monthly gallery guide for the Hudson Valley region
- Maintaining a robust Instagram feed that chronicles exhibitions in in NYC and beyond
- Resuming our modest residency program after a two-year Covid hiatus
In 2023, with your generous support, we will continue to keep our vibrant and expansive conversation about painting going. Thanks for being a part of it.
To contribute to the campaign, please click here.